August 19, 2007

Ohhh customers....

After a very long, busy Saturday, I'd like to take some time to rant about customers. Of course we need customers to stay in business, but sometimes I wish we could just have one day when we didn't have to deal with customers' nonsense. Here are some of the things that drive me insane.

1. When a customer asks me to get something down off the wall for them, they can never exactly describe what they want. They'll point to a wall half way across the store and then look at me like I know exactly which shirt and the size that they need. When I ask which one, they'll say "The red one," even though there are 10 different red shirts on the wall. Ohhh ok, being psychic is part of my job description.

2. I also love when a customer signs their name for a credit card on our little credit card screen and then forgets to press "Ok." When I remind them, they push "Ok" once like a regular human being, and then when it doesn't go through immediately they start jabbing at it with the pen harder and harder like that's going to make the machine work any faster.

3. Readers before I go any further, let me just clarify something. If you need a fitting room unlocked when you are shopping, please just politely ask a sales associate. DO NOT just stand in front of the fitting room with a blank stare on your face like you have no idea where you are. It's even worse when I go back to check on the fitting rooms and there's a line of 8 people waiting while all of the rooms are unoccupied. What the hell were you all doing? Did you think the doors were just going to unlock themselves if you stared at them long enough? Use some common sense....please.

4. My favorite customer questions are when they start asking for a specific item that they saw in the store 7 months ago. Their description usually goes something like this, "Um, I saw a shirt in here around Christmas time, I think it was red or it might have been yellow, and um, it had long sleeves, but it could have been a tank top, and it was kind of long, but not really that long, and it was a weird material, and um, it was red, do you still have that?" No.

5. I also love when customers think everything is on sale. Just because we have a clearance section, that doesn't mean everything remotely near the clearance section is also on clearance. I had a customer ask me today if an entire wall was on sale. Um, do you see some kind of sale sign on it that's invisible to me? Why would we have random sale items scattered throughout the store? Just to screw with people? Hmmm, maybe we should start doing that. ;)

Another day at the circus tomorrow.....

I love my job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While managing a bath and body jerks store after college I used to mess with the sales associates and customers by randomly moving the sale signs. Then once they picked up the "sale" item I would slyly move it back over to where it was and make the person feel like an asshole for thinking it was on sale. The best was when the sales mensa candidates would sell it asthough it were on sale then get them up to the register and have the items ring through at normal price. I would then have to remind them of the sales items and their "chat in" as I nearly died laughing to myself. Isn't retail grand!